- Refined sugar is a simple carbohydrate because its been stripped of its nutrients. A sugar plant has nutrients. Sugar cane and molasses are more directly utilized, not extracted, and carry more of the nutrients to metabolize sugar. more about sugar
- Sugar drives insulin levels to abnormal heights, causing Type 2 Diabetes or Syndrome X.
- Sugar depresses the immune system by slowing the ability of white blood cells to kill infection. Think of a group of kids just after a sugary cereal breakfast; they’re very susceptible to passing around viruses and bacteria.
- “Eating or drinking 100 grams (8 tbsp.) of sugar, the equivalent of about two cans of soda, can reduce the ability of white blood cells to kill germs by forty percent. The immune-suppressing effect of sugar starts less than thirty minutes after ingestion and may last for five hours.” (from Feeding Your Immune System)
- Our body deals with excess sugar by creating more insulin.
- What is the purpose of Insulin? It is a hormone secreted by the pancreas. Its main function is to store energy from food. Only a small amount of carbs are stored as glycogen, the rest are converted into triglycerides. Yes, triglycerides!
- Why is insulin fluctuation problematic? Cells become resistant when too much insulin is pumped. They turn off their insulin receptors and are not ready to receive energy from food. The cells are trying to protect themselves from the excess, so they send a signal that they’ve had enough.
- Sugar depletes B vitamins and harms the nervous system. Adrenaline is made from B vitamins; stress causes adrenaline production. If too much adrenaline enters the system, cortisol is produced. Cortisol harms many processes, including the nervous system.
- Sugar harms digestion because it feeds candida which can lead to candida infection.
- Sugar creates an acidic body system. (not acidic blood ph, but acidic cells created by consuming certain food types) Acidic cells lead to all types of disease (allergy, cancer, diabetes, endo, candida, arthritis, etc.)
Alternatives to refined sugar?
The food industry has tried to create chemical imitations for sugar to help us avoid calories. Water is the only drink that truly has zero calories. A chemical concoction like diet soda dehydrates the body because it takes water away to dissolve and try to break down those chemicals. All of the chemical sweetners have side effects.
- Aspartame, or Nutra Sweet (brand name), is found in so many drinks, yogurts, gums, usually in food items traditionally sweetened with sugar, which people have decided they want to avoid, either to avoid calorie intake or tooth decay.
- When the FDA approved aspartame, it was never intended to become so widely used, and the threshold for consumption by which they figured it would be “safe” for humans is usually surpassed by anyone taking more than one serving per day.
- It was tested only in its powder form and then it was stated that it does not produce cancer in the animals, but does produce brain lesions.
- In its liquid form it turns into poisonous wood alcohol (methanol). Methanol is stored in the liver and accumulates.
- Discovered by accident through biological warfare research and has become entrenched in our food supply.
- Aspartame is linked to the rise in the rate of childhood seizures. (adapted from Chemical Crazy and Insulin Resistant by Sherrie Attila)
- Natural Sweetners:
- Sucanat is non-refined cane sugar which retains its molasses content. The pure dried cane juice is extracted by mechanical processes, heated and cooled at which point the small brown grainy crystals are formed. (from WikiPedia)
- Xylitol is extracted from fruit, usually strawberries, raspberries, or blueberries. It is safe and good for preventing tooth decay. Many chewing gums and natural toothpastes are made with xylitol.
- Both sucanat and xylitol are able to be measured and used in a way similar to white sugar in cooking and baking.
- Agave Nectar is a cactus plant similar to aloe vera. It doesn’t effect blood sugar levels.
- Stevia is a sweet herb, not a sugary substance. It can be in liquid or powder and is measured in drops and has no effect on blood sugar.
- Honey sugars are surrounded by nutrients to metabolize the sugar. In recipies, increase flour or decrease liquid, add a bit of baking soda and powder.
- Maple Syrup sugars are surrounded by nutrients to metabolize the sugar
- Molasses is sugar which is not refined or whitened. It contains a good compliment of B vitamins. The strong flavor makes it inappropriate for some recipes. Available in granule form.
- Ground dates add sweetness and fiber.
- Applesauce adds moisture and sweetness.
- Ground grapes add moisture and sweetness.
Sugar may be entrenched in our diets, but nutritious additions and alternatives can be found. Some families may wish to delete sugar completely. Artificial sweeteners should be avoided. Any change you can make to control sugar intake will be an improvement, and step by step, we can all build healthier habits.
How will you respond to this article? Leave a comment.
acidophilus, airways constrict, alfalfa, allergy, antibiotics, cloudy vision, cracking ears, echanacea, headache, infection, irrigate, irrigate sinuses, kill infection, neck ache, nutriferon, runny nose, sinuses congested, sore throat, soy, stuffed up, swollen glands, thick mucas, throbbing headache, vitalizer, watery eyes, zinc
When the leaves fall, do your airways constrict and sinuses congest? Do your throbbing headaches prevent you from enjoying the fall colors? I remember when my eyes would tear up so badly that a film would cloud my vision and cover my contact lenses. It’d make everything from driving to reading difficult. So, I’d wear my glasses, wipe my eyes and hope for the best. That is, until infection set in.
The allergy whirlwind
- clear, runny nose
- cracking ears
- sore throat
- constricted airways
- constricted sinus cavities
- thicker mucas
- cloudy vision
- neck ache
- swollen glands
- infection sets in
- productivity & focus depletes
Old, broken techniques
Here’s what I used to do…
- blow nose
- wipe eyes
- take allergy meds
- sleep more
- drink more water
- eat comfort food (ie. chocolate malt ball ice-cream)
- wear glasses instead of contacts
- get antibiotics from my doctor
- finish antibiotic cycle
- two weeks later, get antibiotics again
- all fall, winter and spring
- summer was my only hope, untill ragweed blooming. Arggghhh!
Sing a new song. “Free at last!”
I’ve learned some simple and effective techniques to help overcome and avoid this cumbersome cycle. I hope they help you!
- Raise the immune system so histamine isn’t produced when in contact with ‘allergens’. How?
- Avoid sugar (which lowers the immune system and uses up antioxidants).
- Distinguish acquired allergies from actual allergies; avoid actual allergens
- Thin the mucas. How?
- alfalfa (thins mucas, reduces inflamation & raises immunity.)
- What if you’re allergic to grasses? Don’t worry, for most people Shaklee’s alfalfa isn’t allergy causing because we only use the leaves, not the stems of the plant. Also, we only use mature alfalfa leaves so the root systems go deep into the soil. Why is this important? When you take our alfalfa, you get the trace minerals found deep within the earth which can raise your immunity.
- Take acidophilus to thin intestinal mucas. Much of the immune system effectiveness is in the intestine.
- Hydrate with purified water to thin the mucas and avoid infection.
- Avoid mucas producing foods like dairy.
- If congested, irrigate the sinuses immediately. This removes excessive thick mucas, kills infection and reduces inflamation.
- Soothe sore throat with echanacea & zinc
- Kill infection
- Breathe clean air.
more on allergies
acidopholis, alfalfa, allergy, antibiotic, candida, candida overgrowth, cold, ear infection, flu, garlic, infection, inflamation, organic onion juice, sinus infection, stuffy head, virus, vitamin c, yeast
To effectively kill infection, it’s important that the product you’re using:
- has no contamination
- is consistantly the same formulation
- has enough active ingredient
- is made with the most pure raw ingredients
- is processed so the enzymes are still alive.
If these specifications aren’t met, the product won’t be strong enough to kill the infection. All of our products exceed these specifications.
FIGHT INFECTION: virus, flu, cold, ear, sinus
Every 5 hours till infection is completely gone:
- 5 garlic
- 2 sustained release vita C (till loose stools, then back down to 3 a day till infection leaves)
- 10 alfalfa
- 3 TBS Energizing Soy Protein
- 20 ounces purified water
- irrigate sinuses (if needed)
- organic onion juice drops in ear if infected (This smells bad but often relieves the pain within 15 minutes.)
If you used an antibiotic, the good flora of the intestine will be destroyed. Be sure to replenish the healthy flora (acidophilus) in intestine before the yeast (Candida) get overgrown. Your choice of acidophilus is important because if it can’t arrive in your intestines alive, pass the hydrochloric acid of the stomach, it won’t help the body. Shaklee’s patented ‘pearl coating’ ensures live flora get delivered to your intestine.
Candida overgrowth? Test here. (If you don’t include proper contact info, I won’t be able to send you your results.)